View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Re: New windows 10 update performance improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
You are correct in the fact that this update does nothing for the CPU limits. Your computer, and PT, will still be limited by what your CPU can do.

I'll try to explain what this fix does....
When a plug-in is built, it links to certain common system dlls. There are two ways of referencing these system dlls from the plug-in; dynamically and statically.

Now let's say we have two plug-ins; PlugA.aax and PlugB.aax and both of these plug-ins use a file called msvcrt.dll.

If both PlugA and PlugB were built where they dynamically link to the dll, and both plug-ins were loaded in a session, then only one copy of msvcrt.dll would be loaded and only one FLS slot would be used up.

Now if either PlugA or PlugB were built where they statically link to the dll, and both plug-ins were loaded in a session, then two copies of msvcrt.dll would be loaded and two FLS slots would be used.

Now, a single plug-in uses a lot of linked dlls and probably only a handful of them are shared, plus there are reasons for statically linking, so just switching to dynamic wouldn't alone clear this up.

The increased FLS limit allows for more instances of a single instance of a dll to be loaded, which allows more plug-ins to be loaded.

Hope that helps a bit.

That makes it very understandable, thank you! For me, right now, I need to upgrade to more powerful CPU. The number of plugins I can have isn't that big of an issue for me because I seldom have huge sessions to work on. Its CPU limits where I usually run into issues. Thankfully we have track freeze and commit, which help things a lot in that regard, but still, it'd be nice to have more power. Especially since so many of the plugins these days seem to use more CPU than before.