View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

I don't understand the urgency to run ProTools on Windows 8. Much less the angryness and unsatisfaction some are declaring as customers.

ProTools is advertised as compatible with Windows 7, not Windows 8 yet. It will when Windows 8 is the standard. So, I don't see how someone can get angry at Avid because ProTools doesn't work properly on Windows 8 yet. Also, you get the most of ProTools you can get on Windows 7.

If you're trying to use the latest version of ProTools because you want to use the "industry standard" for recordings, then install Windows 7 and use it. No real professional tries to use his Windows + ProTools setup to use anything else on it (e.g. more software, games, etc). More than that, he follows all the Windows optimization points described in the support pages, which make the system look less pretty but function pretty well. After all, that's the role of that computer, being a perfectly clean and fast ProTools platform.

If you want to use the computer you have as ProTools Worstation for something else, then you can boot a different Windows (XP, 7, 8, anything you want) from a different partition or disk. That will protect your ProTools setup from getting dirty or misconfigured.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''