View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Guitar Center nearly $1bil in Debt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
“With kids these days, it’s all about instant gratification. No one wants to take six months or a year to learn. They don’t want to do the work.”

I am not around any teenagers so I can't speak from experience, but my general impression is they are so glued to their smartphones/tablets, not wanting to miss out on someone's text or social media post that they don't have the attention span to really dig into the guitar.
Not just that, but they also don't care about the instrument and the music, plain and simple.

My daughter is 17. Every guy at her school wants to "make music". Always been that way right? Well...when I was 17, every guy wanted to be in a band, every guy (most at least) was into punk, metal, rock, etc... You know, the kind of music where you can actually hear, and apppreciate guitar. What do they want in 2018? They're not into "music", they're into money, easy money. They're into hiphop, trap, etc. They think they're already famous because they put their "songs" and videos on youtube and they get likes. They're not interested in playing an instrument, they're interested in putting 3 loops together in Garageband, and "singing" their poetry with maximum pitch correction cause of course none of them can stay in tune in the first place. That's what the young mens around her are into. Pretty sad.

Few are those interested in different genres...They're most likely the rejects no one talk to, you know the weird goths, emos, or whatever they're called.

I've tried to keep my daughter's tastes open, but she'll never admit to her friends that she listens to, and actually likes Muse, Pink Floyd, Arch Enemy, Supertramp, Depeche Mode, classical, even some black metal, Moby, EDM, etc etc..... Old or new doesn't matter, but something musically interesting. I'm really not the type of person who think everything was better "back then", there were great artists yesterday, there are great artists today, and there will be great artists tomorrow, but teens only care about one thing today: doing music without making music.