View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro or Pro Tools PC ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
The new Mac Pro is only a single CPU. Looks like it's going to have some pretty crazy speed as far as data I/O, but any PC that comes with dual Xeon CPU's will probably trounce the new Mac Pro as far as raw processing power goes. You'll also be able to have more memory on a dual-CPU unit (8 slots instead of 4) so more maximum RAM.

In my work I don't have any issues with data not coming off the disks fast enough, but I almost always run out of CPU power. Therefore I'll be exploring ProTools PC's or Hackintosh options, but I'll be waiting for the Mac Pro to launch and keeping my eye on benchmarks before making any moves for sure.
I think the pro tools PC is only a single i7 cpu, not a dual xeon cpu. From the site:

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Unlocked

And a quad core at that. I'm on a Mac Pro early 2009 as well atm, but planning on jumping to a custom built PC. Still trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$ to get a xeon vs an i7.

For me, this is partially b/c of expandability, and partially b/c I'm super skeptical that Mac will continue to put out new Pro Mac models.