View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 m-powered and vista 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post

Let me ask you guys another question; how many third party plugins can you name that are 64bit compatible?

That would be the worst reason not to make Pro Tools in 64 bit. That's like Microsoft saying why should we make windows 64 bit if Pro Tools and all other apps are 32 bit. They aren't gonna have plug-ins in 64 bit until the host applications are 64 bit. Microsoft went first now it's Pro Tools turn then plugins.

I kind of feel bad for digi because they seem to be falling behind on all these new OS's coming out. It's gonna be hard to catch up. I'd maybe go for getting a bunch of temp freelance programmers. At least get some betas out and make more money on upgrades. It's not gonna matter if you spread out paying programmers for 1000 hours of work over a period of 4 years or 1 year. At least 1 year you can be making money on upgrades. Although support would probably cause issues.

I do have to say I was very impressed with the very few bugs they had on the Vista version. They defiantly seem to be doing solid testing now. I remember XP being a disaster on the initial release. Maybe that was just my system though.

I'm a programmer so I know what it's like and years to do this sounds a little strange to me. I am sure they want to do it right and am taking their time but still Digi better limit their programmers access to the internet. They probably are playing games and surfing the web 4 hours a day. We get people like that at my place. They are horrible.