View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ivan View Post
I was on the phone with Apple this morning and they say I can update to Sierra but my machine will go no higher.
I am happy with this as it gets me away from El Capitan and is only 2 behind current OS.

Great introduction price for VEP7 so going to go with that.
I emailed them and they say they do not have a release date yet but I will be able to install VEP6 in the meantime.
I also explained to them the setup I am hoping to have and they responded with this:

Regarding the question about the licenses:
This depends on your setup.
If you use VE Pro 7 on one computer only, you will only need one license.
If you want to use VE Pro in a network, you will need additional licenses which you can purchase at a reduced price.

For a network setup: Every computer that runs a VE Pro SERVER (and lets you load plug-ins in that server) will need one license and one ViennaKey or other USB eLicenser (you can also use a Steinberg Key, if you already have one or can get it faster).

You will NOT need a ViennaKey on your master computer if you don’t plan to use the VE Pro Server on the master computer. The VE Pro plug-in that connects from your sequencer to the available servers in your network does not need a license to run.

Any further thoughts?
I would get the second license so you could run servers on both machines. That would give you a lot of flexibility. When I had my two machine setup I ran my sample-based vi's on the server (iMac) and all other vi's on the client (MacPro) in VEPro. Helped split the load up. The other reason was less eye strain long-term as everything was small on the iMac and much easier to work with for hours on end with the monitor (1080x1920) on the MacPro. OH yeah - I used screen sharing so I could see what was on the iMac on my MacPro's screen.

The latter is something I don't think we touched on - which screen is going to be easier for you to work on long-term?

QAPLA!