View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

Tyros is the new generation of the Yamaha PSR generic consumer line of products (keyword there: NEW). While they may have better sounds than the old PSR stuff, and be the "most popular" consumer level yamaha workstation, the fact remains that they are still new.

If Digidesign were to develop patch name files for every new product, they would need all of their resources to be focused on creating patch name files for new gear, instead of fixing/enhancing the current product line. Personally, I would much rather have them making the Pro Tools software better than chasing after every new product trying to create patch files, and honestly, that's not really their job. They have created the ability to add/edit the files required to do this, and in my opinion, it should be up to the manufacturer of the product to provide these files.

On the Windows side of things, the patch name functionality is fairly new. There never used to be a way to define patch names in the Windows version; you had to do everything by number for a long time. Be thankful that the functionality is even there at all. (I certainly am).

Now, I definitely agree with you; there needs to be a better way to create them, but since Digidesign has left the format open, I think a third party developer is about the only way we're going to see progress on this issue. On the MAC side, Cherry Picker seems to be the favorite and apparently works very well. Unfortunately, there isn't a comparable product for the windows side of things (yet).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12