View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Default Re: NAMM 2011 Countdown - Take It To 11!

This 11R update offers some nice amps and a significant improvement in the effects department. Until I hear the "Custom" amps, its hard to say what void they may fill. I would have preferred a few more classic clean amp models (Fender Princeton especially), but the Matchless and Fender Super Reverb will fill my needs nicely.

All the new effects are a major improvement, but I am a bit surprised these weren't part of a free update, or made available sooner. Although most of these effects are included with PTLE for recording, the 11R was somewhat lacking in effects for live use. However, I'm pleased with the new effects provided in the update.

More speaker sims are nice, and the bass amps sims obviously require appropriate speaker sims.

One disappointment is that this upgrade eliminates the use of PowerPCs. If the DSP in the 11R is doing the heavy lifting, and Power PC users were able to limp along with PTLE8, why would the update cause the 11R to no longer work with a Power PC? Yeah, I know PowerPCs are old computers, but Digidesign/Avid upgrades have imposed more computer replacements than any software product I have used.

Its hard to please everyone, but it appears that Avid took notice of user feedback. Price is subjective, but this upgrade offers something for everyone (except PowerPC users) and seems to be a pretty good value.