View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 AM

Default Re: My HDX system one year later!! What a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
To say HDX is not ready for prime time is a ludicrous statement - sorry Pat. I freelance for A&E UK - prime time enough for them it would seem. I am about to install my new HDX system.
Yes there is no unwrap yet for AAX DSP - but as Marti (Dr Sound) has said there is a new plug in the wings looking for a title fight......
Prime time yes - just not YOUR prime time. To use Waves et al is your choice. Personally I do not support Waves (there are other better tools out there in my humble oinion) ., but as stated earlier, I choose my weapons and my hardware carefully.

I am, like George (Garnoil), not an Avid Fanboy - or I would be buying an Artist series (no thanks) or C24 (not remotely likely ) instead of my Slate Raven MTI.

I do want a system that I do not have to faff with, has tons of power (native + DSP) and can achieve a latency free Vo record at a moments notice at any state of the project. For me that is HDX and I will be enjoying it with Neyrinck's v- mon/omni. I will be able to monitor like on the DFC (which one of my clients had. Not available to Native users..... Having a gateway to DSP is key to me for many reasons.

Cheers
Well said Mike.

If you need DSP live, then HDX is the only way to get the floating point mix bus, which believe me makes one hell of a difference to us in post, where dynamic range management is key.

Of course us native and LE users have been enjoying that better sound and faster less complicated workflow for years already and it's been a constant frustration when a project that sounds great on HDX, HDN or Native, firstly struggles to play properly on even a HD3, and even if it can play, in sync, it becomes all "crunchy".

HDX was in my opinion long overdue and is more than battle ready. You can achieve great results using mainly stock Avid plugins and Waves actually performs admirably native. The important low latency mixing and audio IO are handled by the HDX.

I tend to stay with stock Avid plugins as much as possible, as being a freelance Post production rerecording / dubbing mixer, where my projects have to be able to be opened and run on systems ranging from 8LE to 11HDX, I can't rely on facilities having anything more.

The only thing that has caused an issue with HDX that I can see is Apple's New Mac"Pro".

Al.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors