View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Default H/W Buffer and Latency

I know we've had many discussions here about changing the H/W Buffer to the lowest possible when recording, and highest possible when editing/mixing. And I do that. For most of my VI's, I can set the H/W buffer at 128 or 256 and not have any issues. But for a couple of them, namely Omnisphere, and most of the East-West Libraries, I can't go below 512 buffer without getting glitches and such. Are there any other adjustments I might make? I have 24gig of ram, so I thought I might turn streaming off and just load everything into RAM. It takes longer to load up a patch that way. But it doesn't seem to make a whit of difference on latency issues.

Its really noticeable on a lot of patches when its at 512 and there's a bit of delay between pressing a note and the sound coming out the speaker.

What else might I adjust? Somewhere on this forum I recall seeing some folks saying they could set their buffers at 64 or even 32 without issues. I might get away with that with a couple of my VI's...but not many. 128 seems to be the lowest. But its an issue when it has to be 512. At 256 you get skips and hangups.

Thoughts?