View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Loop Sync issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
it wouldn't hurt, [and might help], to terminate the 192s.
The 192 word in is terminated internally.

Quote:
the usual procedure would be to use hardware termination on each of them if they are receiving external clock.
Only if the clock input is unterminated internally.

Quote:
with the amount of devices you have to clock, i would not create little sub-chains within the configuration [as in using loop sync for the 192s, or even daisy chaining them with straight word clock].
Daisy chaining word clock I/O is not a good idea. Each generation would be adding another layer of PLL along with its inherent error. The last device in the chain would most likely be a getting a clock with jitter an order of magnitude or greater than the first device. I once had to run a setup like that where I had to clock 4 devices each to the previous one. The signal from the last device would not pass back to the first one without noise/dropouts likely from serial clock phase error.

At least with loop sync the I/O is paralleled except at the loop master which is providing the clock.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Mojave 10.14.4.

Pro Tools HD Native 2019.12, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control