View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Digi 001 discontinued?!

Clorox, you misunderstood the circle analogy in a completely analogous way to how you misuderstand digital signal regeneration, which is kind of interesting. Let me try to explain my analogy a little better because it gets to the heart of the matter. Our DA doesn't reconstruct the sounds we hear by 'connecting the dots'. If it did, then yes, we'd need to do a better job than two points per sine wave. The tool used is called an inverse Fourier transform, and what it does is analogous to the following: go back to the circle. If I sample enough points on a circle to figure out where it's middle is, and what it's radius is, then I know enough to CALCULATE as many additional points as I need to draw the circle with arbitrary precision, right? That is what the DA converter does with the digital audio info we give it. The DA is clever enough that it doesn't need us to give it data that 'looks' like the original wave from. It only needs a couple of points in one period of a sine wave to figure out EXACTLY what that sine wave looks like. Is that more clear?

Charlie.