View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Re: More than one year w/o updates !?

I run an audio post facility, a small one. I work with PT and Nuendo, PT when the job itself consists of a chain of audio engineers, and Nuendo when I do all the work by myself.
For ex, if I have a gig where I work only on vocal editing, I use PT and send a PT session to the mixing engineer.
Heres the thing, Eucon is way superior than any MCU/HUI protocol Ive worked with, but its not more stable.
On the 18.3 update I lost the Jog capabilities on the dock, both on PT and Nuendo, well, I didn't lost that function, I just lost the ability to push/pull that function.( imagine that when you work on audio for picture?)
Also, I do VO, and albeit the "cue sends" and the "aux sends" work differently on PT/Nuendo, the access to their functions on both daws from the S3, are sluggish.
There is also a 0.6 db max audio discrepancy between the S3 faders on 0db point and the Nuendo 0db point. Don't let this small list fool you, there are many more bugs both in PT and Nuendo, I won't list them in order to make the post as short as possible.
My point is, the hui/mcu is minimalist and gets the job done, and we don't need to cross our fingers wishing those software/hardware updates will work, unlike Eucon.
You see, Avid is not selling an S3/Dock controller only to PT users, look up their website, they are selling this combo as 3rd party, also, how in hell isn't their 1rst party support bug free?! Just scroll through the forum to look up bugs, maybe you don't have/need a fast workflow like we Post guys do, and I have a fairly simple setup: Mac Pro 6.1; RME uff +; UAD satelite TB; Audient asp800, etc... But that shouldn't matter since we re talking about a Software controller.
Also, there's a well known bug on the S3 audio card section, I don't know if this is by design or if a simple firmware update will fix it, where input 1/2, while choosing any kind of output, simply won't engage 48V. This lead me to spend 80 + bucks on a good phantom power/DI box in order to keep my 12 mic inputs (4 Rme/ 8 Audient) free from the talkback section.

Cheers.

Edit: mind you. This is not a low budget product. Although its not on the price range of an S6 or Nuage, this is far from the price tag of products like the Mackie MCU: the behringer X touch; the iCon series; etc... hell! even the Presonus studio/live range is cheaper, and those are full blown mixing desks.
Point is, for a 4/5K software controller, we should get full blown and constant support.

Last edited by migasnunes; 03-29-2019 at 04:01 PM.