View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Guitar Rig 5 (or any plugin really) and PT Metering

Hello All,
I find myself coming here again for some much needed help. I'm in the process of working on my first song in years. I am using Pro Tools 10.3.x and Guitar RIg 5. I have put GR5 on a track as an insert. I have recently read a lot about gain staging and I'm trying to take it seriously. However, I can't quite find something out with GR5 and Pro Tools. I will have the volume on the track in Pro Tools set at 0. I adjust my Focusrite Saffire 56 to the level I want. What I don't understand is that I can adjust the master volume and gain everywhere in GR5 (there are several places in Guitar Rig to adjust volumes in my setup) and it does effect the meter in Pro Tools while I'm playing. I have the track record enabled so I can hear what I'm playing and I can turn all the volumes down in GR5 and the meter is still the same. I can go the other direction and make the volume in GR5 extremely loud and the meter still doesn't change. Now, after I have recorded my part, then the volume knobs in GR5 will effect the metering in Pro Tools. Why is it only after I record in PT? Shouldn't the meters show my levels before and during the record?

I thought it was just GR5. However, I did a test tonight with Eleven (free) that comes with Pro Tools. I brought up a rocking distortion sound in Eleven, record enabled the track, and then turned the volume all the way down.... but the metering was still the same.

To combat this issue I put GR5 on one track and made the out a bus. On another track I made the input that bus I selected as an out. So in this scenario, the volume controls in GR 5 properly effect the metering in the arriving bus track.

Anyway, is it doing what it is supposed to do? Seems like to me the volume/gain knobs in GR 5 (or any plugin or amp simulator) should effect the metering in Pro Tools.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug D.