Thread: Breakout Cable
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2001, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Breakout Cable

Kept a copy of this from a post a while back.

"Cable Extension Success!!
I, too longed to move my noisy Mac into an enclosed rack away from my mixing environment, but was told by Digi Tech Support that a longer cable was not available and if I obtained one on my own, it wouldn't be supported. When I said I'd like to take my chances and asked for a spec on the unusual connector so that I could try to obtain a 3rd party cable, the technie said he didn't know and had no way of finding out. (Ahhh, "service.")
So, I did a little hunting online and ID'd the connector on the Digi001 I/O cable as a rare SCSI-2 connector known as a "micro-centronics 50" (sometimes called a "mini-centronics" or a "HPCN50"). More surfing turned up CS Electronics, a supplier of custom cables in Irvine, CA. For $47.50, they made me a 10-foot replacement cable, which I had in my hands within 48 hours!! Great quality, too.
Have been using it with my Digi001 with no ill effects or timing errors. Don't know if cable lengths longer than 10' would cause the problems that Digi cautions against but, for me, it was worth the shot and it paid off -- no thanks to DigiDesign.
Contact CS Electronics at (949) 475-9100, or "http://www.cselex.com" or [email protected]. <<<
Obviously, you are on your own if you do what this guy did. "

Hope this helps