View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Avid HD not in sinc with API A2D

I am trying to use the spdif out from the A2D into the HD, reason why I would like to sync it using word clock since in the A2D manual is stated to use it that way. My unit I guess is one of the first units, and it only has one out with the word sync. However, 5 years ago many hardware with digital features already had wordclock in/out connections.
I wrote API and a Tech responded my email, suggesting I was a total moron for not knowing how to use the unit. Always used the analog in/outs, and I wanted to test the API Analog to digital conversion on the unit, and compare to the HD conversion.
I always liked the API 312s going analog into the HD, since the conversion is great. I cannot say the same thing about the sound of the 312s coming out from the spdif of the A2D into the HD. My U87 sounded dull and bottomless. A Royer 121 was not as clear and crisp on acoustic guitar. Tried an AKG 414b and a 414 and both sounded muffled. So far, what I have tried is giving me proof that the AD conversion on this unit is not as good as I had expected to be. Trying the same mics with an 8-channel presonus pre using the adat out into the HD, sounded just as good.
I thought that API was going to provide some type of suggestion, a route to uplift the quality of the digital features on the unit. Instead, I got a tech assuming I am a moron, disrespecting me on everything I asked and stating that they could not attempt an upgrade since they do not have the right parts…?