View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Can you use plugins to track through?

Yes you can, but there are a few things to be aware of:

#1-some plugins have latency. A few samples(IK Amplitube has 7, for example) and those will likely be fine. But some have hundreds or even thousands of samples of latency(like Ozone), so those would make tracking a timing nightmare(so make them inactive if you need to track with them in a session***)

#2-some plugins use very little system power to operate(like EQ III and BF76) and you can use many(depending on how powerful your computer is). Others, like Ozone, Melodyne and many reverb plugins, chew up a lot of system power and you might suffer stops and errors at low buffer settings(which you want for tracking)

#3-since you're new to this stuff, a plugin that is bypassed uses the same amount of power as not bypassed. Making a plugin INACTIVE will free up all the power it was using when active(***)

My template session has around 36 tracks and is loaded with most of my mixing plugins. But(the great big BUT), and plugins with lots of latency or high power needs are inactive when I open for tracking. Once I finish tracking, I then make those plugins active and my mix is already in decent shape Set your MIX window(under the VIEW menu) to show Delay Compensation so you can see latency numbers. This will help you learn which plugins are okay for tracking

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave