View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Why can we not record to FAT drives any more?

Nope... not for my recording/storage drives simply because I work a lot on PCs and MACs, and NTFS can't be written to by Macs and HFS+ can't be written to by PCs. At least not natively. ProTools LE allows for using HFS+ drives in Windows, but that still doesn't help me transfer between systems, not to mention I'm on M-Powered and HD systems primarily anyway. :)

But now that's all lost. So what it comes down to is that there's not a single drive that can be used to record to, play from, and transfer with because ProTools doesn't support FAT32 any more. I am now going to have to have 3 drives and do a lot of file transfers from one drive to another to switch between Macs and PCs. For a storage drive, FAT32 is more than fine. Take a guess what thumb drives are formatted to.

The only advantages that I can see to NTFS are related to the operating system and not so much to storage. I would imagine there may be some storage advantages to NTFS, but other than that, there is nothing. Some may say the 32GB max of FAT32, but there are MANY programs that will format a drive larger than 32GB to FAT32, just google it.

For a lot of people, this is not an issue. But for those of us that work on both PCs and Macs, this adds a couple of steps and, quite honestly, I can't see a reason why.

Digidesign may have a reason other than "not many people use it", and they certainly are not obligated to share it with any of us, but I would definitely like to know. This is a pain in the rear and, to be honest when considering the other "ProTools Thorns", I may switch and keep ProTools and Translator for when I need to share with someone who has a ProTools rig. Then again, I may not. I'm not sure just yet.

This is just me, though, and I do believe I very well may be in the minority, which means nothing will change. :) Everyone else doesn't seem to be mixing systems quite as much as I need to.

Brandon