View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
But that is nothing Avid can control nor should they be responsible for... even MS stops support on their old OS’s. I would say that is something the end user should be considering when purchasing a new puter.
Well you might have missed my point, specifically about self builds with off the shelf hardware available today, where you can run an os, even unsupported like XP, perpetually along with said outdated software. You can even resurrect Windows 3.11, 95, 2000, etc... again with off the shelf hardware available today (obviously it isn't gonna run great if you can't source drivers) if you like that sort of self torture! Its all good. Point is, where there is a will there is a way I have been using PT since 2006, and I have never needed Avid support. So it won't hurt me much if I need to freeze my system. I could run the same software and OS even in an unsupported state most likely for 10 to 15 years, all while upgrading hardware.

Here is a link which corresponds to my point. If you wanted to use Windows 95, with Office 95 in perpetuate on modern hardware, you can do so in the PC world. Not making any negative comparisons to other OSs btw, just backing up my assertion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-AfnudOET4

All of this in plain english: Avid is not offering a good value proposition for 200.00 per year for so so few updates for someone with a decent amount of PC skills.

Last edited by gnjlee; 06-24-2019 at 03:26 PM.