View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Time Machine trustworthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Time machine doesn't allow OS restoration.
Who says?
I have restored my Lion main system disk at least two times from TM backup. The only trouble was with Mail downloading several years of mail the first time it was run. Other than that, no problem. I always have disk images too, just in case. Disk images are the very safest way to backup/restore boot disks with their byte-for-byte cloning.

I don't know why TM gets so much bad press around here on the DUC. I never had any trouble with it. I just don't like it running in the background all the time so I got a little utility called TimeMachineEditor and set it to run just one time every day. (I can of course trigger it manually at any time with a click.)

Also I don't see what's so special about CCC or Superduper. I always used Apples own Disk Utility to make disk images and restore disks. Very problem-free.

So I can't say what happened to the OP when he said that TM had omitted files from the backup, only thing I can say is that in my experience, yes, Time Machine is trustworthy.

On my Snow Leopard Pro Tools 10 boot partition, though, I never had TM running, as part of PT optimization.