View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Re: LG ultrawide display & CPU problems?

Yes, @smokeydan and @LukeHoward, I have the exact same display (LG 34" Ultrawide 4K - 3440 x 1440), and I've been having the same struggles but working through it... I really do love having this amount of screen real estate, but the GUI lag and constant 97xx quits are killing me. I've decided to downgrade my display situation to something that will run on DVI rather than dealing with the Displayport / 4K madness.

I discovered, after diving into this world, that there's no such thing as a 20' Mini-Displayport cable, and no kind of adapter situation would work when the screen was hanging off of a 5770 graphics card. SO, I swapped out the graphics card for an Nvidia 660 that my son had laying around (which has a full-sized Displayport connector) but unless I flash the card, I have no video until boot into MacOS...

After all that, it does work well on most anything other than ProTools, and I do LOVE the look of the screen. I'm just freakin' DONE with the crashes and GUI lag, so I'm now investigating other dual screen options. If anyone has some awesome suggestions, I'm all ears!

PS. I should mention that I'm on a 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33GHz machine with 48GB RAM, and MacOS 10.12.5

Cheers, eh?

Last edited by Mixchump; 07-16-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional system info