View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Default Re: CALM Acts Audio Loudness, Average Loudness, Program Loudness levels... help neede

Hey, it was nice to speak with you today! As followup for the online world:
Quote:
Audio Loudness level = -17.27 (-22/-24 allowed) = TRUE PEAK
There is something very wrong with this report. It cannot possibly be a true peak measurement! I cannot guess what the QC house is actually measuring but I'll venture to state they are making a mistake.

Requiring true peak levels to not exceed -1, which is what the EBU rep said, is much more likely. "-1tpdb" is another way to say "-1dbfs as measured with a true peak meter" (instead of an instantaneous digital peak meter). Digital peak meters like those in PT, show the digital sample values. True peak meters show the actual signal levels. (Under some circumstances, the actual signal levels can above or below the value of the digital samples that create them.)

Quote:
What can my true peak hit in LU since my target is -23 LU, Program loudness is -23LU and Short term is -23 LU? -1 Milligrams???
Milligrams!
Your question cannot be answered. True peak and LU are entirely different measurements and cannot be directly compared. True peak levels are measured at instantaneous moments in time. LU measurements are sort of "averaged" over time much like a VU meter does.

True peak levels for a -23LUFS program could range anywhwere from -20 (which would be rare and probably sound horrible, and may only be possible with test tones) all the way up to 0 dbfs. A program with true peak at -17.27 and with loudness at -22.68 LUFS, as yours was reported to be by the QC house, would be extremely compressed and limited, something like VO barely audible over a track of limited pink noise! This report makes no sense to me!

Good luck sorting it out!