View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: ProjectMix line inputs -10?

Quote:
Quote:
They are not unbalanced, they are -10dbV. Put a +4dbu nominal 0db signal into it, turn the preamp gain all the way counterclockwise and watch the inputs redline. Not only that, but you will see overshoot in the software.

You cannot input a +4dbu signal running nominal 0db levels into the Projectmix line inputs. Whether you understand, or can recreate is a nonissue, M-Audio confirmed this, and confirmed they are aware of this DESIGN FLAW!!!!!

I feed my Project Mix line inputs from my Mackie Onyx 1640 via a DB25-TRS cable from the Mackie's direct outs without a problem whatsoever.I set the gain on the Project Mix fully counter clockwise and control my signal strength from the Mackie.I usually have the Mackie's gain at about 9-12:00 and this set-up works awesome for me.No clipping unless I crank the gain on the Onyx way to much.Sound quality is superb.Maybe my PM does'nt have that hardware issue.I bought it 3 weeks ago.
You should be setting your preamp levels using the console pfl, not the meters in your DAW. PFL those levels and I guarantee you will see they are well below optimal, meaning your s/n ratio is lower than it needs be, and the preamp is not running in it's optimal range.

AFA M-Audio not being able to recreate the issue, that's total bs. Call tech support, they are completely aware of both the issue and R&D's work in permanently changing it. No attitude, just facts, straight from the horses mouth.