View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Building a system, where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
The HD accel core only comes as PCie, it also has more power than a regular HD process card or HD core. There are some plugins that require the presence of an accel card in your system... but there also accel process cards available for PCI/PCIx. If you want to reach the 192 voice limit of HD you will need an Accel card, the regular HD core by itself is only capable of 96 voices.
What's the range for the HD Accel Core's vs. the regular HD Core cards? Is the Accel version more expensive? What about the regular accel process cards? What makes the Accel Core card more powerful? Just higher bandwith capibilities?

I will probably have to start off with just one card right now due to budget constraints so I figure if the price isn't terribly different (several thousands different) I might spring for the HD Accel Core if what I'm hearing is that's all it would take to get me rolling for now.

Man.. all this is getting pretty exciting as it gets closer and closer. :] Now I just need to research a motherboard and case that will hold it all. I hear something about expansion enclosures.. wonder where I could find those..

::Edit::
Oh ya, also--do I absolutely need a command 8 or C24 in order to load protools... like for example, you can't boot Pro Tools LE without your mbox usb'd to your computer--is this the same of HD? Will I need some sort of mixing console in order for it to load? What about the input/output device?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. Just trying to get a sense...