View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Building a system, where do I start?

I want to build a protools HD system.

I am in the midst of purchasing a new computer. Just recently my house/studio was broken into and have been compensated some money from my insurance company. This was always something I wanted to try out as my old laptop could barely handle my Mbox. I've done a fair bit of research and I was thinking about using one of Asus' better quality x58 boards with an i7-930 processor. What other adaptations (if that setup would even be useable) would I need to make this work. There are also super computer motherboards out there--is that something I need to be looking into?

Basically what I'm trying to see is what I need to do to bridge the gap from LE to HD. I think starting off with one card for now would be the only feasible thing for me to pursue. What am I looking at in terms of costs? I realize that's an extremely broad question--perhaps there's some questions I could answer that would help give better understanding? The problem is, as it stands, I don't know exactly what I need. Somewhere down the road I'm going to be setting up a studio. I've taken some general recording techniques classes in conjunction with some Reason based courses. In a few weeks I start my proverbial ProTools 101 class. My knowledge of ProTools is limited, but at least somewhat existent. I am by no means a sav though and am still learning but I can certainly do the basic functions.

If there's a general thread (I didn't find one here) to help me get started in this direction feel free to link instead of type. It seems like there is a hardware thread but appears to be fairly dated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Justin Butler