View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Default Multiple iLok Cloud Sessions

We have 35 individual Pro Tools Licenses in the iLok Account of our College, which are activated on individual iLok Dongles. If I deactivate them from the iLoks and put them back into the account, so they are available to log in via the iLok Cloud (Open Cloud Session)., would it be possible to open as many Cloud Sessions as there are licenses in the Account? Each student computer then doesn't need the iLok and would just login through the iLok Cloud.

The Knowledge Base lists the following explanation

Q: Can multiple licenses for the same product be allocated to iLok Cloud?
A: Yes, when a Cloud Session is initiated any available licenses will be allocated to the Cloud Session. Multiple Pro Tools licenses of various types might all be allocated to the Cloud Session, which means they won't be available to move to an iLok. For this reason it is important that you move licenses to physical iLoks before initiating the Cloud Session. If a Cloud Session is already open you will need to Close Cloud Session, then allocate the licenses to physical iLoks, then Open Cloud Session again.

If I understand that correctly, it should work. Every time a student launches Pro Tools and clicks the Activate button using the iLok account, it should use any of the available Licenses. Theoretically, there can be as many students using Pro Tools on their computer as unactivated Licenses are available in the iLok account.

BUT:
When I try this, it is not working and it seems only one Licenses can be activated in the Cloud. Using the Cloud to activate Pro Tools at launch will show an error message with the name of the computer that currently uses that one Cloud Session. If I use that Cloud Session, the previous computer revokes the license of the currently running Pro Tools.

BTW, the terminology of "Open Cloud Session" and "Close Cloud Session" is one of those genius confusing Avid terminology. Why don't they call it what it is, a "Cloud Activation". A Session in Pro Tools is a very specific thing and that has nothing to do with the authentication. Even worth, a "Cloud Session" exist already, technically. It is a "Project", a Session that is stored in the Cloud, on Avid's Server. Just saying.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/