View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I'm as frustrated with AVID as the next Pro Tools user but Logic Pro X has never been a good comparison. Part of the cost of admission is buying an Apple computer. LPX development isn't funded by your one-time App Store payment but by margins on the hardware that runs it. Consequently, you're locked into the macOS environment if you want to continue using the DAW. This is meant to drive future hardware sales. For all we know Apple is pushing LPX as a loss-leader with no intention to profit from the sale of the software.
Someday, I’d like someone with real inside knowledge of the business to tell me if a software like Logic Pro can really be seen as a loss-leader vs hardware, computers in the case of Apple. I mean, yes it’s inexpensive for what you get at 199$USD but if they need to sell, say, 15 000 copies to be breakeven with R&D costs, all the copies after that point are 100% profit, no shipping, no nothing. The computers are a bit more expensive than a Windows PC equivalent( it’s been pretty much proven that if you buy the same quality components, a Mac is not that much more expensive, but anyway) but Apple needs to buy components and build the computer so a computer will never be 100% profit for Apple, from 1st to last unit.

Anybody knows how much, say, a 2019 15-inch MBP base model cost in components AND manufacturing AND all marketing/retail channel “fees” vs the selling price? Is it 10, 15, 20, 30% gross margin?

Blink