View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Manufacturers who intentionally make their products obsolete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I would like to start a thread, of anybody's experience with manufacturers who intentionally make products they made in the past obsolete, to force their users to have to purchase new products. This only applies to audio products, not other software products.

This applies to hardware and software.

I spent some time tonight thinking about all of the other DAW manufacturers, and audio related manufacturers, that I am aware over the last 30 years of being in this industry, to determine if there's anybody else other than Avd who makes this practice part of their business model.

Apogee - No
Steinberg - No
RME - No
Logic - No
MOTU - No
Mackie - No
SSL - No
UAD - yes, TDM Plugins only
Presonus - No
Radar - No
Reeper -No
Sonar - No
Yamaha - No

Avid - yes, control 24, ProControl beyond TDM, PT10

Of everyone above, who's products are vastly more expensive.

Help me remember what else I'm missing?
I can't really think of anything. At least not on the terms of what Avid is doing now with the new licensing policy. I'm not opposed to it as much, but I don't get all the comments about not being able upgrade once you're plan elapses. Something doesn't seem right. And if this ends up being the case, it'll be dissapointing.

Personally, I think Avid is too big right now and they are looking for ways to feed money to themselves.

Smaller companies or companies that are big but make other things probably don't run into this.