View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Manufacturers who intentionally make their products obsolete

I think, that considering the fact that this was originally created in another part of the forum, that the context be brought into perspective regarding the original subject matter of my original post.

By the very nature of what we do regarding anything digital, various equipment is going to become obsolete by the very nature of advancements in technology. The important distinction, and the point that I was originally trying to make, whether valid or not, was the fact that Avid is the only audio company that I can think of, maybe other companies that I'm unaware of, that as part of their business model has intentionally made products that they've made in the past no longer work, with the sole intention of forcing the user, if they wanted to continue with newer versions of their products to have no choice but to purchase newer versions of a particular piece of equipment.

I offer as an example, Avid's Pro Control/Control 24 units that I personally use today, that work as well today as they did many, many years ago when they were first introduced. There is no reason whatsoever these units cannot work with ProTools 11, ProTools 12, and beyond, other than the fact Avid has intentionally made thiese particular pieces of equipment no longer work so they could force me, in their mind, to have no choice but to purchase new control services even though there's no need due to the fact that if I want to continue to use current versions of ProTools, I have to buy into the newer control services, or otherwise not use a control surface.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp