View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Is UAD worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
don't forget all the good UAD plugins like MKII's add a minimum of 55 samples latency.. In fact UAD's own fender emu adds a hair under 3ms on it's own (so monitoring at 44k through apollo with just that guitar amp is 5ms RTL.. higher than many native systems - and that's with no other plugins added).

UAD is worth it yes, for mixing. Apollo low latency is a complete scam and I have learned this the hard way after a huge outlay (read uad's small print.. 4 plugins in series with zero latency but only if the plugins have no additional latency, so only the 2007 circa Mk1 stuff, very few plugins in the big picture).

My apollo RTL through console is routinely at 8+ms, so, way too high.. just by putting a couple of comps and an EQ.

Jeepers! I would never have considered tracking through UAD plugins because I knew they introduced extra latency... but that is far beyond what I expected! My plan was to just use UAD in a a way to lighten the load on the CPU so I could keep the sample buffers lower for longer.... but it sounds like that isn't possible either? I would have thought even if UAD plugins introduced latency, they could still run comfortably at 64 sample buffers and ADC in Pro Tools would just kick into gear and take care of it when playing back a mix while tracking.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.