View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Options to replace 003 as interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You actually don't need to connect the two via Wordclock. You can clock the Focusrite A/D card via Adat as well.
Thanks a lot! Didnīt know that anymore. Just knew it has to be clocked to get it work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Also, it's important to know which Focusrite A/D card you have. For the past several years, the one that has been sold is actually the 8 channel card for the 828, which works with the 428. The benefit is that you have 4 extra channels of A/D conversion on the card, so you can use 1 or 2 of those channels for your Avalon as well. This way you can have the Quartet as your only interface, have access to its 4 built in preamps, plus the 428 preamps, plus your Avalon.
+1
As nst7 writes, you could of course use all your stuff instantly without buying new gear.
Just set up the Quartet as the audio interface and you will get
4 mic pre amp inputs directly on the Quartet,
4 mic pre amp inputs on your 428 routed via channels 1-4 of your ADAT Card to the Quartet,
1 or 2 (if itīs a stereo device) mic pre amp inputs on your Avalon which should then be connected to ADC inputs 5 (+6 if itīs a stereo device) on the back of your 428 (which will then be automatically routed through channel 5/6 of your 8-channel-ADAT Card straightly to the Quartet and right into your Mac).
The only thing with this version is that there only would be left 9 mic inputs compared to your prior system which provided you 13 (if i counted right ).
To compensate for that I "designed" that kinda fancy "system" in my 1st posting .
Anyway.

Wishing you good luck, best regards.
Happy holidays everyone!
Cheers.

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.1, Apogee Quartet, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.0.3, Logic 10.0.4, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc.