View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Re: I think I'm getting off the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
I have been a PT user now since 2001. I'm mainly a songwriter/musician. I have always tried to stay current with PT but the doubling of the cost to stay current is just to much for this retired guy. Love PT and will try and use my legacy system as much as possible but hard to justify the expense to stay current. Own cubase 6 and logic 9 but always preferred PT but the model sucks for me. I doubt I am the only one who feels this way.
I think if you freeze your OS with your current Pro Tools version you'll be just fine. By the time you need to update, perhaps the prices will have come down. If not, time to look elsewhere. I use Logic X with an Apollo TB3 silver face. It is ok, but Logic and Apollo are no HDX system. I'm staying current for now. I have till April to decide if I should get off the Avid subscription train. I'm on the fence quite frankly. $399 although expensive, is still better than the other options out there. Sad to say. Once HDX is put to pasture, that is a whole other story. I can't see myself upgrading to HDX's replacement unless there is a truly compelling reason to do so. I keep hoping one of the competitors, like Apogee or UA come up with an HDX beater, but so far, no dice. They have a couple of years to come up with something. Hopefully by then, Logic will have a few more updates that gets it closer to Pro Tools when it comes to seamless recording and editing. Some people think Logic X is perfect as is, well maybe not perfect, but close. I disagree. UA Apollo's Console is a deal breaker. I refuse to use it, but I don't track with plugs anyway, so it is not issue. Although the latency is still nowhere near as good as HDX. I'd consider upgrading to an Apollo Apogee, but it is already pushing 5 years old and I imagine a new refresh is no more than a couple of years down the road, just about the time HDX becomes obsolete. Fingers crossed.

Something tells me that Avid must have something big under development, otherwise, they are screwed once HDX is retired. If they go strictly native, than they are no different than all the other native companies. For latency reasons and the new Mac Pro keeping PCIe alive and well, I see Avid releasing an updated replacement for HDX. It better be damn good and the software development needs to keep up with the rest of the industry, which it isn't at the moment.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman