View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Separate CPU for RTAS processing?

One would be to sell anything you dont want, and then build one of the Tyan based Quadzillas (see the "Best Systems..." thread, sticky in this section of the DUC, courtesy of Shane). There are ways to get around spending $2k flat out to build it, and if you have most of the parts to beginw tih, you could opt for the motherboard and one CPU for now.

I have a fairly new Dell Precision 670 system. I'll probably be better off just getting a second 3.0Ghz processor and upgrading the SDRAM to 4GB (I currently only have 1GB installed). This will only be an $800 upgrade. Also, I should just upgrade to at least one more Accel card. I only have an HD2 and we are doing really complex 96k sessions. Just to give you an idea, one of the sessions slowing up my system was running at 96k, 86 voices, and a ton of plug ins (both TDM and RTAS).

Next would be FXTeleport, but I do not think it will work...maybe someone else has tried? With Giganet, it is still going to be a 1024 buffer (or so I think).

I believe this is only for VST's. I had looked into this prior to posting.

My only other suggestion would be to grab an original HD Process card. I have seen them as low as $600. I consider that a sin (them priced that low), but whatever.

How do these cards compare to current core or accel cards?

On a brighter note, I activated the HyperThreading feature last night after posting this message and I noticed a huge improvement. By huge I mean this particular session was taking up 80-85% of resources without HT, when activated the system was running between 65-72%. Session was running flawlessly.