View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 + Windows 10 = Bad Lightshow

To the ones that have the same problem with their Mbox 3 on Windows 10, I'm happy to say that I've finally determined the cause and the permanent solution!

The culprit is the new Fast Startup option in Windows 10 Power Options which is enabled by default. From what I've read, it puts Windows kernel and drivers in the state of hibernation. This doesn't play well with Mbox 3 drivers, as the device doesn't turn off properly and during the next boot up it forgets the set sample rate which should be fixed by the settings in Mbox 3 Control Panel application.

Now with Fast Startup turned off, my Mbox 3 finally turns off after the shutdown. When booting up, the Power LED start to light as it should and when the login screen appear, MULTI, PHANTOM, MONO and DIM light up as well. No more resetting the Mbox Control Panel nor fiddling with the PSU switch.

The funniest thing is that I've stumbled upon the solution by trying to solve another problem. All of the sudden my DAW system refused to shut down when I chose the option from the Windows key. I've checked the Internet for the possible causes to this, and one of the most mentioned advices was to turn the Fast Startup off. Two birds with the one stone.

The downside is that with Fast Startup turned off, my system takes a bit longer to shutdown. But as I'm using SSD's for my OS, programs and sample libraries, this is tolerable.

All in all, I'm glad this is finally over and I hope I've helped someone at the same time.