View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Win10 Disabling Hyper-Threading question.

Hyper threading is/was *never* a promise of doubling performance. There are no extra full cores, it is in part an illusion. Nice marketing. A hyperthread gets to do useful work if the core it is a part of is not fully busy, so the answer is it’s complicated.... depends on workload, plugin, etc. and not as simple as CPU meters imply.

Disabling hyperthreading with Pro Tools 2018 on *Mojave* sure provided a huge stability improvement for many folks. And that seemed to be initially found by users. I don’t think there was anything quite as dramatic seen on Windows 10.

I do not understand why you are talking about comparing Apple with Windows 10.

On macOS *Mojave* turning on hyperthreading did not increase, let alone get near doubling performance, it often went the other direction, to zero. Are you experiencing errors/crashes? If not I would have left hyperthreading enabled, even the old optimization guide kinda tries to warn your mileage may vary.

With such dramatic changes/improvements to threading and plugin performance in 2019.5 (thank you Avid), and who knows what other bug fixes, I have re-enabled hyperthreading on my i7 MBP running Mojave. Seems OK.

I have no clue about the current reality on Windows 10, but I would not be assuming old general advice still stands with 2019.5 unless you hear it does—or just experiment. It may always be possible that somebody finds specific plugins and workloads that might be improved by disabling hyperthreading... so whatever the general recommendation, if chasing down issues trying to disable it is a tool at your disposal.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-22-2019 at 10:01 AM.