View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Default Re: 6-core (3.33GHz) or 2 quad-core (2.4GHz) Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef Brockmann View Post
Hello everyone,
so I want to replace my G5 and have to decide between the 6-core (3.33GHz) or the dual quad-core (2.4GHz) Westmere processor setup.
I usually have mid size mixes (64 tracks) and a couple of VIs.
I know that ram has a lot to do with performance but just to keep it simple I want to choose between these two setups.
Cheers, Detlef.
I've sent countless mails around the world to get some user feedback the last couple of weeks. I'm basically in the same situation as you, except I'll keep the G5/PT 8 HD3 Accel as my TDM mixing system, and outsource all VIs to a 6-core 3.33 Westmere with 24 GB of memory, and pipe the audio into the PPC via ethernet.

My experience with the PPC, and others experiences with the new Mac Pros, is that higher clock speed is (marginally?) better than 2 processors. And since I've seen countless times that some VIs behaves badly with 2 RTAS processors on my old rig, I chose the single-processor MP with the fastest clock speed. The 3.33 6-core also has faster RAM (1333 MHz) than 2x2.4 quad-core (1066 MHz) according to the Apple Store.

Fast clock speed and fast RAM (and lots of it) is important to me, as I'm huge on VIs. Since you only use "a couple of VIs" it may not matter to you at all, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Best of luck!