View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro (Late 2013) GPU Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post
I had a quad core trash can that I was having this issue with for almost a year before I did anything. Took me several go arounds over the phone and finally at the Apple Store to get it resolved.

I shot several pieces of video to show the behavior when it would freeze up but continue playing audio. This was great evidence for the techs.

Of course it was always that they couldn't reproduce it and it was an OS error or Avid error or bad RAM or anything else.

How I ultimately proved it was by buying a refurbed quad core trash can. I used a clone of the system drive on an external USB 3 SSD and ran it on the bad trash can until it froze and shot video of the freeze. I did this for about a week to gather my info. Then I swapped the RAM from the bad trash can to the new trash can and ran it for a couple of weeks. No freezes. At this point there was nothing to eliminate except that it was the computer itself. They started replacing one GPU at a time and I would get it back, retest it and still get freezes. Went back to Apple Store.

I did this until a third fix didn't solve the problem. At that point they just gave me a new trash can.

I ended up selling one of them for a slight loss but was never without my work computer and now I haven't had a freeze on the new computer in almost a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your experience. That sounds a lot like what I'm going through. I've been back and forth with Apple since January.

I've been trying to show them everything I can to prove that it's not the OS. What's different from your experience is that according Apple, the engineers can't use my videos I've taken to help. Not sure what that means, but it's super frustrating.

I think I might have to go the same route you did and buy another Mac Pro.

Mac Pro (2013)
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB Memory
OS X 10.12.6

PT 2018.1