View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Default Re: I wonder if any of you have a solution for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Hey all,

Thanks to EVERYONE for the excellent suggestions.

Here's how we got the computer back online.

I took a brand new external hard drive and downloaded a brand new High Sierra system onto it.

Then, I installed that drive into our Mac Pro Tower, while at the same time, I removed the SSD containing our PT10 and PT12 System partitions.

I booted up the Mac Pro tower from the new High Sierra system drive. So far, so good.

I shut down the Mac Pro, and while leaving the High Sierra drive installed, I re-inserted the SSD with our PT System partitions.

Once the computer booted (onto High Sierra), I could see our PT10 and PT12 System partitions in the "Startup Disk" window within System Preferences.

I could then choose our PT12 System partition, rebooted the computer and all is well again.

Probably the best part of this is that I now have a fresh High Sierra drive, and before removing it from the Mac Pro, I installed PTHD 2018.7 onto it, so that we could at least quickly launch a PT session if one of our System drives crashed. It will be nice to have that as a quick backup, although the truth is (knock on wood), we haven't had a System drive failure or even glitch for years, as we keep on top of our drives' health continually. We may ultimately decide to erase our PTHD10 System partition, since at this time, we are comfortable with not needed a PT10 partition going forward.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

PS. Sardi, I believe you are right. This was not a hard drive or partition problem. It was a "terminal" problem (we had this scenario once before and used Terminal commands to get back online, but for whatever reason, this time the Terminal commands weren't solving the issue). Our sister computer has never had this issue once (switching between a PT10 partition and a PT12 partition), and I think there is something in this particular computer's firmware that caused this little glitch.
My MBP is set up with an SSD and 2 boot partitions. Lion and Sierra. This has happened to me one time for another reason and all I did was ZAP the PRAM and the Sierra disk showed up once again.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com