View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Re: ez drummer 2 midi editing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post

Why not just use the song track within EZD to build/edit the loops? While I have done importing MIDI from EZD for edits, I find it much easier to edit with the song track within EZD.
The editing capability of EZD2 is so very basic and limited that it consists of nothing more ;
- than being able to chop up and move complete midi blocks,
- remove (or add) a single row of samples (eg; hi hats etc)
- swap the leading hand hit (eg; from sat a snare hit to a tom)
- guess-worked algorithm to either complicate (add beats - which is usually snare hits) or subtract beats from an existing beat.
- control of the velocity of the kit as a whole.

This Toontrack midi control is so very basic and limiting ...,

..., and personally ,even though I have a mega collection of midi files to choose from - I never-ever (not even once) have ever been satisfied with anything from EZD2 (or SD2) "without" dragging it out of EZD2 and into Pro Tools where some real editing can take place , like ...,

- adding, moving, subtracting, shortening, or lengthening of individual hits,
- adjusting velocity ranges within individual kit pieces
- changing swing values.

The editing features in EXD2 are a good starting point and a time saver ..., the bottom line is most people write songs that have their own unique beats and patterns, so to mould someone else's "generic midi" to your existing song, it will then requires lots of further editing work within your DAW to make it fit .

To answer the OP ; I always use the export midi option in EZD2 and save it to a folder that I create called "Saved Midi files" .., and from there I can drag that midi file into protools.

If I need to get a midi file back out of pro tools I will export it from protools from the menu , and use import midi from EZD2 if I want to do some further editing (for example - experiment with arrangement orders etc)