View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 AM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

1. Stability. Pro Tools feels like you're constantly walking on egg shells compared to working in other DAWs. I think I've actually developed a mild case of PTSD over the past decade because of it. There's always that little nagging feeling of unease when tracking a band at low buffer sizes...

2. Updates, bug fixes, OS compatibility. Ideascale was a joke. Other DAW companies seem to actually LISTEN to their customer base. Digi/Avid have not and do not; in fact it appears to me that they intentionally withhold functionality. It does not take over a decade to incorporate automatic delay compensation. It does not take over a decade to incorporate track folders (still waiting). I started a thread 8 years ago about how they screwed up Elastic Audio from PT 7.4 -> 8.0 and was told by the engineer responsible and Jeffro that the issue would be taken care of and nothing has come of it. 8 years.

3. MIDI. If you've actually worked with MIDI extensively in other DAWs, you know where the shortcomings are. Hell, sometimes I open up a project and Instrument tracks inexplicably "go grey" and I have to make a new Instrument track, copy plugins and all MIDI data just to get it to play again (this has been a known bug for over a decade...see point 2.)

I could go on and on, but I'll digress for now.