View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 10:57 PM

Default Re: 7.1 Monitoring Controller & Beyond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I'm looking for a scaleable monitor controller for 7.1 and possibly beyond
in the future to use with PT HD.

All I've found so far is a Studio Technologies 7.1 controller and the Blue Sky
AMC. Neither of those are upwards scaleable to Atmos etc.

Dante looks promising for scaleability, but I haven't found a monitor controller for multichannel yet.

Someone should make a scaleable controller that works with an ipad app to switch inputs and formats, set reference levels and solo and mute speakers etc.

Is there anything like that around?

What are other people using for immersive formats etc?
Hi,

I've just been through the same investigation. I'm not a mix stage but I wanted a controller that would expand to mini-atmos, that wouldn't be as expensive as QSYS and that I could control with a remote (iPad or hardware) to recall presets, mute channels etc. etc.

I ended up with the Xilica Neutrino. It comes in various setups. I have the 1616ND. It has 16 analogue I/O, 8xAES and Dante. You can freely design your own schematics and freely define the iPad/iphone/Android surface.
It sounds excellent and is easy to config.

And the best thing is I can use it as a stand-alone PT-interface via Dante virtual sound card which saves me tons of weight when I need to move my kit to an edit room abroad which happens once in a while. I have 16 I/O with Dante on a single CAT6 cable from my MacPro. And you can defeat the fan. All that in a one unit box. In that sense it becomes a 16 I/O PT interface when you have the 29$ DVS installed on your DAW computer. Before I needed my 8x8x8, BlueSky BMC, Yamaha 01v96 when on the road. Now the Neutrino replaces all of that gear and I can go beyond 7.1 and it saves me at least about 15-20kg of boxes when traveling. I just need my Mac, the Neutrino and a CAT6 cable instead.

Support is very responsive. I'm very happy and it's significantly less expensive than something like QSYS. But it's not as modular. So if you need it to be further expandable or you need more than 16 analog outs for your speakers then I'd look at QSYS. It's very good too. The market for these things is quite small. There's the QSYS, Peavey Media Matrix, Soundweb. Almost any other so called controllers end at 7.1 or are simple volume knobs.

Frank.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 04-24-2016 at 11:37 PM.