View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 20 Keeps Crashing on High Sierra Mac (help!)

My thoughts:

I have 2020.3 running just fine on catalina, imac 2017 i5 w/8gb ram. Ilok cloud. I also use Adobe apps, Logic, and some system extentions.

I did a fresh install of OS and PT, ilok, plugins and everything. Wiped HD, everything from scratch. As long as I can remember, this has been the only way to be safe that you get a reliable system. Upgrading the OS (so-called in-situ upgrade) is asking for trouble IMO. And I'd never trust so-called "cleaner" applications.

I think your troubles stem from this. Installing and uninstalling, different versions of OS and PT (having two PT versions at the same time), different licences. I'm not at all surprised that you have problems.

I really think that it's your only option; Format your HD, or even better, get a new external (you can always copy everything back to your internal later), maybe a faster SSD, giving the MBP a little new spark, and install the latest MacOS, and the latest PT. It might be you need to use best part of a day, but it's not difficult. Whith a new SSD, you can always boot into your old one if you need to.

And be careful not to use apple's Transfer Assistant (not shure of the name in english), at least not for applications, it scrws things up. A little like "cleaner" apps. I have used it for settings and passwords, and it worked.

So, a fresh fast SSD, with fresh latest Mac OS, and clean install of latest iLok and PT software, and I bet your MBP will be running smoothly.

Then, of course, you'll have to spend a few days setting things up the way you had it. But I think it will be worth it.

At least I don't think there's a quick fix for the situation you're in now.

And while you're at it, get a backup application like CarbonCopyCloner to make intermittent backups, for example when you got the fresh OS/PT confirmed working, to always have the ability to roll back if something goes wrong again. With two disks, the internal and external, you'll have a very reliable setup.

Good luck and stay safe.