View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Where is my Pro Tools 12 No Charge (Student/EDU) Upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onbeat View Post
I was on my last year of the free 4 year Edu upgrades and received Pro Tools 12 without a support plan. I have 12.1 in my account but got access to 12.2 thru application manager. I'm wondering what my status is with that license. I figured I would get a year support when I got the 12 license. Now from what I read above I'm thinking that if I don't get on a Support plan by the end of the year, it will cost me $299 to update it later.

Does this sound correct Nigel?
Yes, you are not on a support plan. Unless they treated you differently to me, which I doubt. A quick check in the App Manager would show any support plan you are on.

I have 3 licenses ... A 10/11HD bundle, a 10/11/12 bundle that is on the four years of free upgrades deal, and a 10/11 bundle that is on the four years at $99 per upgrade deal (that's the one I'm still in dispute with Studica about).

That's why I'm fairly well up on the whole licensing thing. My 12.2 was also only available via the App Manager, it's not in my Avid account.

If your four years have already run out, then you have to buy a support plan before the end of 2015, at normal prices, otherwise your license will forever be frozen at its current version. You'll always be able to use but never be able to upgrade. Your problem will come at some point in the future when you can't get it to run on a new computer and can no longer maintain an old computer that it will run on.

You have a choice of upgrades: $99 with no support and you only get a 12 lcense, or $199 with support and a 10/11/12 license bundle.

If you are still in your four years of free upgrades deal, things are not fully clear and this is the subject of the support case Avid's Jeffro has opened for me.

We have the paradox that we must sign up to and pay for a support plan even though we are entitled to free upgrades, in my case until September 2016, but in theory some people might be until 6th April 2017.

Hopefully we will get a solution to this soon. I did mention it in te DUC when Pro Tools 12 details first came out but nobody from Avid picked up on it then, even though I bumped it quite a few times. Fortunately Jeffro saw me mention it in reply to a question in another thread and opened a support case for me.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)