View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

funkcity writes:
Quote:
The Hollywood community, The Motion Picture Academy, Dolby, DTS, Sony, Fox, Disney, Paramount, Warner Brothers, Ascent, Universal were and STILL ARE on the "OLD" standard. And that standard relied on a mechanical VU meter, the Dolby DS-4, or a led style VU averaging meter.
funkcity also writes
Quote:
...I can make them a cal CD based on INDUSTRY STANDARD COMMON PRACTICE which should help clear the fog.
It is certainly hard to know what to believe with so many opinions floating. As far as I am concerned, INDUSTRY STANDARD COMMON PRACTICE is exactly what The Hollywood community, The Motion Picture Academy, Dolby, DTS, Sony, Fox, Disney, Paramount, Warner Brothers, Ascent, Universal, and nearly every other person are currently doing. It is the INDUSTRY's COMMON PRACTICE.

I choose to live by Dolby's guidelines. The DSM7.1 pink noise set at -20 is the same level as Dolby's DP564 pink noise set at -20. It is the same as pink noise set to a -20dbfs reference level on my RMS average meters. Until Dolby and a host of others change their collective minds, I will do nothing different. A standard is simply what a majority of the industry defines it to be. If the definition does not match the majority of the industry's practice, then I think the definition should change, not the practice.

Flame away, but I am done here. Also, I hope this brewing argument does not take away from the merits of this otherwise helpful thread. Perhaps this entire argument should be removed from this sticky thread and made into its own.