View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Mix plus with control surface or HD2 with a mo

I guess I have just gotten complacent, and been content with a mouse. I usually end up writing automation with the edit window rather than move the virtual faders. I mostly do editing for post production, so the control surface has less need there. I can definately see the benefits of having the control surface. The Control 24 looks perfect for me, as it has mic pres built in, are they good enough for basic foley/ADR recording? I was looking at the octopre, and cost wise, the Control 24 makes more sense. I saw a good deal on ebay for a Mix 3 system, with 888 and 1622, and I added up the digidesign exchange price, and it would actually be cheaper to buy the mix system, then immediately trade up to the HD system, something like $6000 cheaper than the list price. Speaking of list, is that pretty much the best deal out there for new equipment? Kinda like how Apple closely controls pricing, so nobody's got real deals, just free extras.

I kinda dig the surround panners on the Pro Control, should I look into that? I would like to get into surround pre-mixing, and mastering at a proper dub stage.

Coming from a no control surface environment, I don't like the idea of spending so much on something like that. Are there any good alternatives for simple fader automation? I guess my biggest problem with the mouse is automating EQs and compressors, can't touch more than one knob. Do any control surfaces allow me to control the plugin's paramaters? That's what I really need. If it's not too expensive, I would much rather have a HD1 at least, if not HD2 Accel.

Thanks for the input so far. Any other tips for going freelance and trying to make a living? I like the studio aspect because I get regular (albeit low, i'm basically making paid intern rates now) but I hate seeing so much money paid for service I do go to fund the rest of the company, while I make $275 a week. I have been looking for other employment, but have come up dry, or they want 3 years plus experience, where I only have a bit under 2. Freelance from home appeals to me the most, I only worry about job security, and being able to pay off the equipment I buy.