View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Anyone in NYC have CEDAR?

I am in Toronto, Canada and probably too busy to take another project now but CEDAR alone will not do it. I own CEDAR, and often restore horrible crackled audio but it is a very time consuming process that involves several tools. It is usually NOT a one step process, as in run it through the CEDAR and it just comes out clean. In my experience it is a careful "step by step" use of all the different tools, often, the type of offending noise will dictate what series of steps to take. First, I would start by making sure that there is no electrical hum (remove all electrical ground loop hum), or any other mechanical noise (air conditioner, neon light ballast, buzz, etc) . You can use Izotope to "see" the electrical hum and these other noise and remove it. With Izotope Spectral you can remove a lot of the crackle (one noise at the time and not just magically processing the entire file). You can also use the RX de-clicker (once you know how to use it is very, very good..almost magical). With Oxford de-crackler you can remove a lot of crackle and clicks also, it has an exclussion box that lets you not remove certain clicks at certain frequencies. You can also use Izotope de-noise to remove certain crackles.

One last thing, I have not heard your files but there are "some" files that simply can not be fixed with anything. Also, heavy restoration processes will degrade the overall quality sound, to what degree, is dependent on all factors. It is often a compromise.

Put up a 10 second file so we can hear what you have and see if it is fixable.