View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Default Re: GDPR and Avid's advice to turn off Filevault

Hi Skip. Welcome to the forum. Good question.

I don't have an answer for you but I'd be interested in knowing too. Not that I use Pro Tools on a laptop anymore but for reasons regarding theft I've encrypted all of my local and remote drives at my location - that is, all but the system drives using FileVault.

I've not encountered any more problems than before, since encrypting the data drives, no new performance issues - just the usual ones. No noticeable difference with Pro Tools either when comparing encrypted HFS and APFS partitions. (Though another story: encrypted APFS partitions are more likely to fail definitely, compared to encrypted HFS partitions, if problems occur - due to the less evolved rescue / repair tools made available by both Apple and third party as of yet. Be sure to backup everything.)

A modern, or at least an Intel CPU, should have an instruction set called AES-NI (Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set
The purpose of the instruction set is to improve the speed of applications performing encryption and decryption using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
As of my understanding, the Mac file encryption uses AES.

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free