View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Magma Expansion Chassis P7R4, PCIHIF68 Host compatible with Protools Mix, G4, OS9

Until the current 8-slot Mac Pro was released, I believe the old 9600s had the highest number of expansion slots of any Mac. They were rare 15-20 years ago, probably nearly impossible to find now.

I ran many configurations of mix systems back in the day and when you start adding lots of cards the bottleneck ends up being TDM time slots. 4-5 mix cards is really all you need, unless you want to max your io to 64 and can’t find enough of the digilink Y cables that allow 16 io per card.

I had a 10 node TDM cable with the 13 slot chassis, and for me the most effective use of it back then was 3 mix cards with 7 samplecell tdm cards. Obviously with today’s crazy fast computers the need for a pci card with a dedicated cpu for samples and only 32mb of ram has come and gone... but it was really cool back then.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?