View Single Post
Old 04-17-2001, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Sac-2k and Protools (LE)

I've got and used a HUI, Motormix, and now th e Sak 2K. Here's my 2 cents:

HUI is best of 3 but is 3X cost of MM and 1 1/2X cost of SAK. Monitor section is nice if you need it. Touch sensative faders are the big plus over MM. It's the biggest size wise of the 3.

Motormix is the cheapest and smallest footprint. No touch sensative faders is the biggest drawback. Not ergonomically laid out (especially transport buttons). The supposed Monitor section add-on has been in the works for about a year now. I spoke with the designer at AES and he said the hold up is a cost effective surround panner (I wouldn't hold my breath for this add on).

SAK 2K: Best bang for the buck if you want touch sensative faders, BUT the touch sensativity is a little buggy still (as was the HUI's in it's first year of release). The workaround right now is to ground yourself when writing automation. They promise software fixes soon. The faders are noisy but acceptable for the price. Plugin implementation is good. No meters (the HUI has em). Looks way cooler than the HUI/MM and it doesn't have the "MACKIE" name on it.

My vote is for the SAK if you're on a budget and want Touch faders but don't need the Monitor section.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)