View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Will Aspera stop DD central site after Dec.2011?

I couldn't agree more. It seems that the trend with avid/digi is planned obsolescence.

In 2007 I dropped over 100K on the D-Control Bundle. 32 fader Icon, accell cards, Mojo, Digidelivery Server LT, Digi Expansion Chassis (the only qualified chassis at the time), which orphaned my previously qualified Magma, tons 'o plugs...you get the idea. Now to rise above PT 8.0.1 I have to unload my Digi Expansion Chassis. And to get to 8.0.1 I have to buy PT 9 and downgrade from there!

Now I'm losing support for DD server?

I understand that every 6 months you can buy a faster, better and cheaper computer, but in most cases I can still use my old POS computer and still run applications that have been updated.

I feel like I'm being used to improve the looks of AVID's balance sheet. Continuing this model, by PT 9.x or PT 10 I'll have to throw my standard 192's and accell cards out the window as well.

Every client wants the most recent current models but still won't pay a reasonable fee to allow my studio to remain current due to the orphanage of the hardware I have.

I've been with Digi since Sound Designer for the Emulator II, then Sound Tools, the Pro Deck & Pro Edit (hell on earth), so my loyalty to Digi, now AVID has been unyielding.

But orphaning gear every three years sucks for my ROI (return on investment). I'm still paying for gear that has been orphaned.

Therefore I'm eyeballing other solutions. Burn me once, your fault, burn me twice, my fault. I'm feeling pretty burnt right now. Can you say DP or Logic Pro?

HDX 10.1 (2 Cards)
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4Ghz Westmere 26 gig Ram
Icon D-Control, Two 192HD 16x16 analog and 8x8x8 Avid Mojo, Sync HDI/O